Gareth's Tips For 2009.

For a period of time which is supposed to usher in new things and new beginnings, the New Year sure does herald a whole host of repetition.

Just as I always continue to refer to the current year as 2008, prior to correcting myself before my mouth has got around the last sound of the syllable "eight", so do I find myself reflecting on the year passed and optimistically speculating what the year ahead may hold.

Just as everybody embraces one another with a rousing chorus (or at least an approximation thereon) of
"Auld Lang Syne" at the midnight between the end of the past and the beginning of the future, so does everybody - and I mean everybody with the means to convey their point - feel the need to openly share their review of 2008, and most importantly their views on what 2009 may bring.

And why not?
For when it comes to expertise, not all of us can discuss the fine details of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, nor quantam mechanics, nor the use of javascript, nor the benefits of the equally tempered harmonic system, nor the FTSE 100; but oh my, when it comes to the New Year, we all know how to discuss this, for we are all experts on the New Year.

And seeing as I have the method to propagate my views on the matter of "2009", then darn it, why not?

My five most anticipated albums of 2009
  • Dananananaykroyd - Hey Everyone!.
    I'm literally so exciteteteteteted. (See what I did there?)

  • Sufjan Stevens - TBA.
    Rumour has it that it'll be the next installment of the 50 States project, entitled "New York".

  • Franz Ferdinand - Tonight:Franz Ferdinand.
    Not very "down with the kids" I know, but if you'd heard the new songs they'd played at Latitude, you'd agree with me.

  • White Lies - To Lose My Life.
    This has perhaps been one of the best guarded secrets from the foibles of internet piracy since the beginning of the internet, so it comes as no surprise that this album has made it on to the most anticipated albums of 2009 lists of nearly every music critic writing today.

  • Good Shoes - TBA.
    Remember them?

    My top five tips for 2009.

  • Cats and Cats and Cats.
    They were one of the best live bands I saw in 2008, and I genuinely believe that their album (currently being recorded, and to be released this year) will catapult them to the status that Johnny Foreigner and Dananananaykroyd have enjoyed this year.

  • Florence and the Machine.
    Yes, I did have to run after the bandwagon before I could jump on it but I don't regret it for a moment. The BBC, HMV, the NME and most of the British press are all claiming that 2009 will see the rise of the female singer-songwriter (as if 2008 and previous years didn't), so my money is on Florence breaking the charts first.

  • Dent May and his Magnificent Ukulele.
    Bit of a wild card this one I suppose, but this is some excellently nerdy pop; imagine if the key songwriter of Noah and the Whale was the main character in the first Back To The Future instead of Marty McFly.

  • Rupert and the Robbers.
    I know, I know. This is the second band in my top five tips that my band have supported before, and so I may be a tad biased, but oh my, just listen to those tunes; if Rupert and the Robbers aren't at the very least being regularly played on BBC 6 Music by the end of the year, then I will be very surprised.

  • Sam Isaac.
    Some would argue that Sammy Isaac should have been in my tips for 2008. WELL THE BLOG WASN'T HERE THEN, SO BE QUIET. But to be fair, Sam had a cracking 2008, but that's not going to quash my belief that with the release of his new album in 2009 he will take over the British Isles and legally become sovereign.


    But what do I know about music?
    I'm merely an expert on the New Year.

    Gareth!


  • 0 comments:

    Post a Comment